Here’s what we have planned for you in 2023…
Most every class includes field identification of wild and cultivated herbs, harvesting, medicine making, herb gardening tips, and wild food harvest + enjoyment.
VIEW OUR SYLLABUS (.pdf)
February 11, 12
- Greeting each other and the plants
- History of Herbal Medicine
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Nervous System
March 18, 19
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Digestive System
- Percolation Method of tincturing
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Liver
April 22, 23
- Botany for Herbalists
- Herb walk at the Ma-l’el Dunes in Manila, CA
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Skin, Muscles + Bones
May 19, 20, 21
- Seaweed Adventure! A camping field trip to Petrolia, CA on the Lost Coast includes harvesting + cooking with sea vegetables, harvesting wild oats, and swimming in the river.
- We’ll meet Friday evening at 6pm in Petrolia at our camping location, then head out to Mattole Beach early Saturday morning to greet the -1.4 low tide (one of the year’s best!) at 6:41am.
June 10, 11
- Exploring the Flower Essence system of healing
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Reproductive System
July 7, 8, 9
- Field trip to Southern Oregon to visit HerbPharm, Pacific Botanicals, Oshala Farm, and other herb farms of the beautiful Applegate Valley
- NOTE: Depart Friday 1pm from Arcata, return around 5pm Sunday
August 19, 20
- Using Herbs with Children
- Exploring Aromatherapy
September 16, 17
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Urinary System
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for the Respiratory System
October 21, 22
- Materia Medica + Herbal Therapeutics for Natural Immunity
- Forest Bathing, Herb Walk, + Medicine Making at Horse Mountain
November 11, 12
- Medicine Show, Project Presentations, + Graduation celebration!
Tuition | $200 deposit + $2795 (may be split into 4 payments of $699) includes:
- All instruction, field trips, and samples of products made
- Rosemary Gladstar’s home study course The Science and Art of Herbalism ($375 value)
- Several regional guide books including Hiking Humboldt and Wildflowers of California’s Klamath Mountains
- Membership to United Plant Savers
Prerequisite | Beginning With Herbs class (or the equivalent) and a passionate desire to learn plant medicine! The Winter Beginning With Herbs session begins January 11, 2023 and can be taken concurrently with the Ten Month Herbal Studies class.
Contact Allison: firstname.lastname@example.org, 707-407-5617
Please complete this quick form when you register so we can learn a bit more about you before class.
About Your Teachers
Allison Poklemba is a teacher, botanist, herbalist, environmental educator, founder of Backcountry Press, artist, mother, friend, and always curious student of nature. She has been concocting potions since childhood and teaching at Dandelion Herbal Center since 2002 — she also carries a special place in her heart just for seaweed.
Jessica Shepherd has been working as a Community Herbalist at Humboldt Herbals since 2004 while also teaching a myriad of classes and pursuing extensive studies and certifications in the field of Aromatherapy, including distillation. She has developed successful herbal product lines, top-selling tea blends, created an award-winning recipe published in the book Fire Cider, and has been teaching at Dandelion Herbal Center since 2015.
We asked graduates: How has this class influenced your life?
“My experience was not only educational but therapeutic. I loved going to class and sharing ideas, getting to know my fellow herbalists and learning together. I developed an understanding of plants and a deep relationship with them as well. My favorite was our seaweed trip and herb walks. You really feel a part of your plant community.” – Amber Novak
“Exponential growth! After decades of healing and “getting better” from an “incurable disease,” I felt tired and stuck. I joined DHC to find that little bit of magic that could really support me to put a shiny star on top of my health challenge. I went looking for a shiny star and found so much more… I am bonded to a beautiful and strong, supportive community that has not only transformed my health but my spirit as well. I hope my sharing will help inspire others to follow their own path to their shiny star, beautiful community and spirit.” – Ramona Taylor
“I was working at moonrise herbs looking for any opportunity to learn more about herbs. I was an herbalist in the making just begging to sprout. I took beginning with herbs and was hooked from there. The ten month course couldn’t come sooner. From the very beginning I felt such a close connection to all the people taking the class and that was the foundation of it all. Learning about herbs brings connection to life in all its forms. Through song, spirituality, diving into the science and anatomy of herbs and how they work with our inner eco-system, creating medicine and so much more. To this day I use the knowledge that I gained in the ten month herbal program and share it with my family, friends, and anyone who is in need of healing through our herbal allies. Some of my fondest memories are going on herb walks coming face to face with these new beings I had never met before. Being able to go for a walk and confidently identify plants that surrounded me has given me a confidence and closeness to Mother Earth. She is always there. She will always give her healing and I will always nurture her as she has nurtured me. I still remember our camping trips like they were yesterday. The excitement of traveling to learn and meet new plants, make medicine and become closer to all the people in the class was so special. I felt I had really began to connect to one of my soul purposes through this class. Learning about plants, healing my body with them, now healing my family. Since then I have had two girls one of them named after a famous botanist, and both have flowers for their middle names! I have been able to use many remedies for my babies and now I am beginning to teach them the sacred and ancient wisdom of plant healing. Thank you Dandelion Herbal Center for changing my life in the most authentic and healing way. ❤️❤️” – Sarah Howe
Tanna Wise (verified owner) –
Allison and Jessica changed my life. They gave me so much beyond just herbal knowledge. I found a home. I feel so blessed to have taken this course when I did. Allison and Jessica both carry years of experience and knowledge. Allison is a botanist queen and Jessica an aromatherapy wizard. Together, they create such a warm and welcoming space for people to gather, learn, and be themselves. If I could, I would spend every month with them.
Allison Poklemba –
Awwww Tanna!! You are a gem and we are so thankful for all the laughter and enthusiasm you brought to class!
Brie George (verified owner) –
This was the best investment in myself I have ever made! Jess and Allison are incredible teachers, and share such rich herbal knowledge and traditions. The amount of knowledge and experience you will get out of this program is incredible, not to mention all of the special friendships and plant medicine you will make. Your mind body and soul will be nourished.
Allison Poklemba –
Thank you, Brie! Can’t wait to follow along as you build on these experiences!
Kristen Smith –
I can’t express with words how magical this class is. Allison and Jessica are continuing the great work that Jane started with Dandelion Herbal Center. They both bring so much knowledge and experience to their teaching and they complement each other beautifully. I’ve taken other herb classes that felt very sterile and disconnected; like I was just learning about the chemical constituents of the plants and how we could “use” them. Jessica and Allison’s classes are far from that; they weave ritual, song, story and much more into how they teach plant medicine. This class has reawakened something inside me that I am truly grateful for. As if that wasn’t enough, I also got to spend time with a whole crew of hilarious, savvy, kick-ass powerful goddesses who inspired me every moment we were together. I’d take this class continuously if I could!
Allison Poklemba –
Awww Kristen!! It’s been an absolute joy to share ALL that comes with class time with you. You are such a brilliant, inspired, witchy herbalist!